Even the most natural among us wants a more glamorous look once in a while, especially over the holidays. But glam doesn't have to equal a ton of extra time or products, or yet another thing you need to get done.
Taking your everyday makeup to the next level doesn't have to be complicated, and this article will tell you how to do it in 5 easy steps, with products you probably already have.
What makes makeup glamorous? It's really about wearing a little more than you normally would, and using darker or more vibrant colours. Think of your makeup as a way to accompany your outfit, which may have more shine or texture than what you would wear to work or to run errands.
1) Every good makeup look starts with well-moisturized skin; it's a must. A primer like Vapour Beauty's Gentle Illuminating Primer can be worn on its own for a natural glow, or mixed with your foundation. Speaking of foundation, while it's great to even out your skin tone, not everyone likes it or needs it. I personally love all of Vapour Beauty's foundations, applied with their foundation brush.
2) On your eyes, use a single neutral shade, or blend a few shades; this doesn't have to be complicated or like one of those long complicated Instagram videos if you don't want it to be.
Lately I've been loving the @vapourbeauty eyeshadow quad in Labyrinth. Any of the Vapour or Lily Lolo or Athr Beauty palettes would work. All of them have shades are easy to blend together, so you really can't go wrong, and you can easily use the darkest shade as eyeliner (wet a small brush to apply liner and keep it in place longer). You can brush a bit of the darkest shade under your lower lash line to further define your eyes.
3) Mascara is a must. Curl your lashes first (seriously, curling your lashes makes your eyes look bigger and prevents your mascara from flaking) and apply two to four coats of mascara. I really love the Plume lash curler. Use a lash comb to get rid of any clumps.
4) On your cheeks, use your usual blush. I love a cream blush/stick layered with a powder for more impact and staying power. Pure Anada's Lip & Cheek Rouge is great for layering, and so are the Vapour multi-sticks.
5) Next, lipstick. Red is a classic holiday shade, but if that isn't your thing, go with a brighter pink or a more pigmented lipgloss.
If you've used a multi stick or cream blush, you can layer it with another lipstick or lip gloss.
Lip pencils are having a moment, and help your lipstick stay on longer. You can also use your pencil all over your lips and cover with gloss.
Note that bronzer and highlighters are amazing, but if you're in a hurry or not in the mood to fuss (or let's face it, the rest of the family juuust might be waiting for you in the car while you finish your makeup - I know from ahem, experience). Plus, I promised you 5 steps and I didn't want to end up recommending more steps than usual.
So there you have it; 5 easy tips for getting glammed up for the holidays withouth anything too complicated so that you can spend time with your family and friends.